MDCA Wins Athletic Program of the Year
Mount Dora Christian Academy (MDCA) has been selected as the Florida Athletic Coaches Association (FACA) Cary McDonald Award Winner for “Athletic Program of the Year” in the 3A private school classification for the 2017-2018 school year.
The official FACA Cary McDonald Award presentation will be made by FACA officials on September 28, 2018 at the new Tom Jett Field at Bulldog Stadium. The presentation will mark the first time MDCA has won the award and the first football Homecoming game in MDCA history.
The award winner is based on two criteria: whole school membership and the athletic program’s finish in the FHSAA Floyd E. Lay Sunshine Cup All Sports Award.
During the 2017-18 school year, MDCA had an individual or team qualify for regional or state competition in numerous sports. In addition to the outstanding athletic participation and performance, MDCA had six coaches voted “Coach of the Year” in the district.
“This is a great honor for our school and athletics program here at MDCA,” said Athletic Director Jim Nichols. “It’s great to work somewhere where you have the support from the board, administration, faculty and staff. These student athletes and coaches work tremendously hard on and off the field and I am excited for them to receive this award.”
Athletic Success included:
- Boys Cross Country: State Champions
- Baseball: Final Four state championship
- Track & Field: Two individuals won state championships and team regional and state competition
- Girls Tennis: Team District Runner-up/Regionals competition
- Boys Basketball: Elite Eight
- Girls Softball: Elite Eight
- Boys and Girls Bowling: Two individuals qualified for state competition
- Football: Conference Champions / Second round of state playoffs
- Boys and Girls Weightlifting: Four individuals qualified for state competition
- Boys Golf: Two individuals qualified for regionals and State competition