MDCA offers a variety of opportunities for students to expand their talents in musical art. Our marching band and concert band encourage students to challenge their abilities and strengthen their skills.
- The band received an overall Excellent rating at the 2014 Florida Bandmasters Association District Marching Performance Assessment in Leesburg, FL.
- As part of the assessment, the Color Guard received a Superior rating.
- The concert band received an overall Excellent rating at the 2014 District Concert Music Performance Assessment.
- The Winter Guard received a Superior rating at the 2015 District Solo & Ensemble Performace Assessment for the 4th year in a row.
- The Winter Guard received an overall Excellent rating at state.
Our band program offers many opportunities to get involved year-round!
Our band program includes a 5th grade band curriculum for all 5th grade students.
We offer an after school jazz band and jazz combos.
In the fall, our 7-12 grade students participate in marching band for football games and a pep band for basketball.
Every December, we will put on a Christmas concert featuring all of our groups and ensembles.
In the spring our 7-12 band will be split into a 7-8 and a 9-12 band. We perform at most of the large scale functions on campus including a full Veteran’s Day program.
7-12 students also learn the basics of individual musicianship by performing a solo for their instrument in front of the class, at a concert, or during a district Solo and Ensemble event.
We cap our year off with a spring concert featuring every group.
Mr. Sewell: Band Director
Mr. Sewell grew up in Montgomery, Alabama, and received his bachelor's degree in Music from Faulkner University. While at Faulkner, he met his beautiful wife Julie Anne. In his free time, he enjoys going to the beach, playing disc golf, and composing and arranging music.